The best advice I ever got.
Seriously? It was this:
Nobody's watching and nobody cares.
I was in the studio of cartoonist Brian Sendelbach in 1993, fretting about my latest mini-comic or something, I had to make it great, I was trying so hard, I didn't know what I was doing, I was anxious, really anxious, and he stopped me and said:
Tom. Nobody's watching.
And nobody cares.
It was so freeing.
- Nobody is watching you so intently that they are waiting for you to F* things up.
- You're allowed to make mistakes.
- You're allowed to learn slowly.
- No one cares if you are brilliant today or tomorrow or ever.
- God is not waiting to hand you a Big Golden Lemon and take away your right to play.
Just take a breath, and do the work.
And play. And learn.
Since then, I have let the work guide me. What does it want me to say? How is it suggesting I say it? How can I say it better?
And whom should I ask for help?
That's what SAW is here for. For people who are ready to ask for advice, instruction, community, mentorship.
But for now, take a look at our online courses, or
check out our free resources.
And when you're ready to ask for help, find us in our classes and jump in.
Tom @ SAW